This tart is a classic chocolate ganache tart. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and vegan. But don’t be turned off, as everything about it is delicious. Starting with a coconut almond crust that’s crunchy and good. Over the years, I’ve experimented with coconut flour in the crust and it adds a great texture to it and of course a bit more coconut flavor. So that’s the version that is below. If you don’t want or have coconut flour, feel free to substitute with almond meal/flour.
The filling is pure chocolate ganache and a good quality chocolate is necessary to make the filling great. I love using Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Bars for this. Sometimes I do mix it with Semi-sweet chocolate too. Either way, it is a rich chocolate filling made creamy with coconut milk.
For the crust:
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1¼ cups almond meal/flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour (if you do not have coconut flour substitute with ¼ cup almond meal)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I like using 8 ounces bittersweet and 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup pistachios (optional)
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Coarse sea salt (optional)
To make Tart Crust:
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the coconut flakes, almond meal and salt. Pulse to combine. In a small container, melt the coconut oil and maple syrup together. Pour into the food processor and pulse until well mixed.
Press the crust into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan. Use the flat bottom of a cup to press hard.
Bake crust in heated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden and firm. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
To make Filling:
In a medium mixing bowl, place the chopped chocolate and set aside. In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk to boil gently. Pour the milk over the chopped chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes before stirring until smooth and creamy. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour the chocolate ganache into the cooled tart shell. Chill until set, at least two hours. Top with toasted coconut flakes, almonds, pistachios, coarse salt and fresh raspberries.